Sunday, December 16, 2012

Vulnerable

I've been pondering the past couple of days about how people move on.  How do you start doing routine things again?  And when?  Whether it's moving past a horrific tragedy like the people of Newtown, or moving past any of the losses and letdowns that we all suffer at different times.  Father Tom gave a very inspiring sermon today, and one of the things he said was, "It is only when you allow yourself to be vulnerable that you have the option of feeling anything besides fear."  For some reason the word "vulnerable" jumped out at me.  Literally, I saw the word in giant letters in front of my eyes, and I think it was God telling me something.  In dealing with hurt both big and small, the only way to move on is to be vulnerable.  You want to protect yourself and your loved ones both physically and emotionally; you want to lock your heart away so you'll never be hurt.  But then how do you live, and how do you love?  The only way to move on is to put yourself out there - to be vulnerable.  When you fling open the door, yes, there is the chance that hurt and pain will come in.  But if you don't open the door, how will good come in?  How will God come in?  And happiness, love, joy....  Do you let them stay locked out because of your fear?  So the answer for me to the question "How do I move on?" past any of life's stumbling blocks literally jumped out at me from Father Tom's sermon - be vulnerable.  I found God today in that one word "vulnerable" when He flashed it in giant letters before my eyes.  Kinda hard to miss that one :) .

No comments:

Post a Comment