Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shortbread

I'm behind on my baking for Christmas this year.  I've been busier than normal and just haven't had time.  But today I really wanted to try a new shortbread recipe I found.  Shortbread type cookies are really difficult to do gluten and dairy free. My usual flour blend doesn't work well with them.  So after running around this morning, I whipped up the new recipe, baked them, and set them out to cool.  I wasn't holding out much hope for them because they didn't look quite right when I took them out of the oven.  But while I was waiting, I decided to wrap a few gifts.  A few turned into all of them.  Wrapping gifts is one of my least favorite Christmas chores (along with licking envelopes!), so while I was at it, I figured I might as well finish.  I sit on the floor to wrap, and when I got up my back and neck were aching.  I stretched, groaned, and headed into the kitchen where I found the shortbread that I had completely forgotten about.  I looked at it skeptically, broke off a piece, and put it in my mouth... yummy!!  Oh my, it was so good!  I won't say the texture is exactly like regular shortbread, but it's pretty darn close, and the flavor was perfect.  What a treat after all that wrapping!  I found God today in my new tasty gluten and dairy free shortbread recipe.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment