Tuesday, December 18, 2012

She Meets No Strangers

I had just started checking out at Harris Teeter today with a huge pile of groceries for our Christmas festivities when a woman got into line behind me with just a small basket of stuff.  I smiled at her a couple of times trying to silently apologize for her having to wait so long behind me, but she didn't seem the least bit perturbed.  When I was finally almost done, she said, "You look like you're going to be making some good food!".  I said that I hoped to because I had family coming in for Christmas.  She proceeded to carry on a conversation about family, food, and the holidays while my stuff was being bagged, and I had such a good time talking with her.  When I was just about ready to walk away, she said, "Make sure you take time for yourself, you know how it can get this time of year."  I thanked her and wished her the same.  I walked to my car feeling really good, and it was all because of her friendly conversation.  I was driving away before I realized I hadn't gotten her name, and I'm regretful of that.  She was one of those people that my mom used to say "doesn't meet any strangers".  I'd like to be more like that.  I always try to be friendly to anyone I meet, but I rarely go beyond the usual niceties.  She took the time to have a real conversation, and it brightened my day.  I wish I could tell her what a positive effect she had on me.  I found God today in one of those amazing people that meets no strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment