Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wet Road

It started to rain lightly just as I set out for my walk this morning.  I thought about turning back but decided to go ahead and take my chances.  I'm so glad I did.  Besides the expected pleasures of walking in the rain - watching the raindrops on the pond, hearing them hitting the leaves - I experienced one more that I hadn't in a long while.  The smell of the wet pavement.  It only seems to have that smell right when it first starts getting wet, then it goes away.  It reminded me of being a kid.  We lived on a dead-end street and always met the other neighborhood kids outside in the road to figure out what to get up to next.  We were outside constantly and only came in when it was raining.  But we always waited till the last minute, and there was always that wet pavement smell right before we headed inside.  It's a gorgeous afternoon -  bright, sunny, and warm; but it was in the unlikely perfume of a wet road on this rainy morning that I found God today.

1 comment:

  1. That entry really brought back memories for me as well. Memories of being a kid on my street. And memories of getting out of the car and stepping into the sun to resume a ball game right after a brief rainstorm threatened to send us home for the night. Very cool memories! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete