Thursday, March 1, 2012

Soup and Sweets

We were just talking yesterday at our Pastoral Care meeting about how giving food makes us feel good.  Well, I got to do that today!  I had made a huge pot of soup and a cake yesterday.  Today, I was making chocolate peanut butter cookies (all gluten and dairy free, of course!).  I had way too much so I called my dad to come over and take some home. He brought my mom with him, but she waited in the car.  As I've mentioned before, she has dementia.  At this point she really can't be left alone for long, but she's also not very mobile.  Anyway, I walked out to see her before they left.  I think she knew it was me because she said "Hi, Darlin'!" right away.  It made me smile to hear her sound like her old self.  I told her I was sending some goodies home with her, and she seemed happy about that.  I know my dad was!  But more than anything, I was happy - very happy to be able to give them some food made with love.  And that is where I found God today - in the joy of giving soup and sweets to my mom and dad.

1 comment:

  1. Downright edible! What a lovely moment to share.

    ReplyDelete