Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Dandelion

I saw a tiny dandelion when I started my walk today and realized I don't see many of them anymore.  When I was growing up they filled our yard.  But my dad never used weed-killer.  That would have ruined the harvest.  He used to gather the dandelion greens every spring and my mom would cook them up for dinner.  Somehow I don't remember actually seeing him do this, and it was years before I realized that the "greens" we had for dinner were the scourge of many a proud homeowner's lawn.  And I have to say when I saw them for sale at the grocery store, I laughed.  A weed!  But those weeds are awfully tasty.  (The other wild greens we loved as kids were something called "Vleeta" in greek.  Another weed that seems to grow near cornfields.  I still don't know the english word for that one.)
I looked for the rest of my walk and didn't see another dandelion until I got around to the marsh side of the block and saw a few growing next to the marsh.  One perfect flower stood out, and I had to take a picture of it.  It reminded me again that God's beauty can be found in so many ways.  In big ways like the grand, majestic scenes that I love taking pictures of.   But also in the smallest way - like this little dandelion with it's bright yellow flower and tasty, green leaves.  Weed?  Not in my book.  For I found God today in that beautiful little flower.



No comments:

Post a Comment