Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Blueberry Bush

I do not have a green thumb.  I don't exactly have a black thumb - I don't kill every plant under my care - but I need them to be pretty sturdy stock.  If they're overly sensitive to too much or too little water, poor soil, or have specific sunlight needs, they need not apply to my garden - unless they have a death wish.  Well, last year we bought a blueberry bush.  I have no idea whether these are supposed to be hardy or not, but I wanted to try just because I love blueberries!  We planted it in a container on the deck so I'd be able to water it easily and eagerly awaited our bounty of blueberries.  When the first ones appeared, we were ecstatic!  And so were the birds.  Those little buggers were eating the few berries we had.  We tried all kinds of contraptions to keep them out before finally settling on a free-standing fence totally surrounding the pot.  Those birds are smart!  They found their way into everything else we tried.  So after all that effort, we managed to harvest maybe 6 more berries.  Oh well, at least the bush looked pretty - through the fence.  Then fall came, and with the berries gone we were able to remove the fence and see our pretty bush again.  But I also worried about it making it through the winter with my lack of a green thumb and all.  Well today, I'm happy to say we have fresh little buds of green on our bush!  Yay!  It made it through the first winter.  I know it won't be long before we have to surround it with the fence again, but for now I'm just so happy to see it alive.  And it's in those little green buds that I found God today.

2 comments:

  1. I had to put nets over the ones I had years ago and I always felt like I was in a battle with the birds for MY berries just as I had to fight for my garden from the deer and rabbits. Had to learn that God's plan for feeding the birds and deer is with my sweat as part of the rent for living .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to keep that in mind as I begin my battle this year! Maybe even leave a few of the less desirable ones out as a treat. :)

    ReplyDelete