Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wayward Turtle

I was taking a walk around the block with Marlayna when we came across a small turtle.  It startled both of us because we were just chatting away, and then suddenly he was there.  (It's funny how something completely immobile can startle you just by being out of place!)  He was on the side of the road, so Marlayna picked him up and put him in the grass.  We started to walk on, but since we were so close to the pond, she decided to take him closer to the water.  He was one of the cutest little turtles I've seen, and we see quite a lot with the pond behind our house.  He had a very rounded shell and bright orange markings.  I always wonder where they're going when they seem to be heading away from water towards a road or a field.  But I've seen people stop traffic on a busy road just to help one across.  These slow-moving little guys seem to bring out the benevolence in people.  They carry their armor with them, and yet they seem so vulnerable.  Maybe it's because they move so slowly in our fast-paced world that we take such a liking to them.  I don't know what it is exactly, but I know it makes me feel good.  And I found God today helping another little wayward turtle back onto safe ground.  

No comments:

Post a Comment