Monday, September 3, 2012

Frankie Moore and the Carolina Hymn Singers

Marlayna was going through her IPhone showing me different videos and songs she liked.  So I got on Youtube to show her some of the ones I liked.  While searching around, I remembered coming across an old country hymn by my uncle a long time ago.  I looked for it again and played it for her.  What memories it brings back!  My uncle had a gospel band called "Frankie Moore and the Carolina Hymn Singers" in the sixties and possibly into the seventies - I'm not sure.  When we were kids, we used to drive from Maryland to South Carolina for Easter at my other uncle's church.  It was a Baptist church and there was always a band and old-time hymn singing - songs like "I'll Fly Away", "Daughters of Jerusalem", and "The Lord is My Shepherd" which is the song I found on Youtube.  My mom's whole family sang and played instruments and most had never had a single lesson.  It was my fascination with them that got me so interested in music as a child.  I learned to play piano and taught myself how to sing harmonies just like them.  I don't know who posted this recording but I'm so thrilled that I found it. It's all I have of my uncle's music.  He's gone now as are many of my mom's siblings, and she has dementia so she's mostly gone, too.  Hearing this music touches my soul and brings the spirit and faith I felt in that church to life.  This is where I found God today. (click the link to hear the song)

The Lord is My Shepherd by Frankie Moore and the Carolina Hymn Singers

5 comments:

  1. I can give you all of my Grandfather's music if you would like.

    Franklin Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That would be great! You must be my second cousin. How can I get in touch with you? I have a "Finding God" page on facebook, too, so you can also message me there. Thanks so much for responding!

      Delete
  2. Hey Franklin over the years slowly all of their music I grew up in has disappeared. I would love to have copies of all you have...
    Kevin Herron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Franklin over the years slowly all of their music I grew up in has disappeared. I would love to have copies of all you have...
    Kevin Herron

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can find some audio files of Frankie Moore and the Carolina Hymn Singers here:
    http://sptread.tumblr.com/search/Frankie+Moore

    ReplyDelete