Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Three Bicycles

It was a busy day, and this evening I settled down alone in the house listening to the sounds of the day winding down through the open windows.  I was looking for God in my day and kept feeling the urge to go to the front door.  It was a beautiful sight.  The long, golden evening light filtering through the trees made a lacy image on the lawn.  Birds were calling, insects chirping...  And then a young boy of about ten, a little girl who was maybe five, and their father rode past on bicycles.  They passed in front of me quickly, but I was just in time to hear the little girl say "Daddy, are you coming?"  He said, "I'm right behind you, little..."  I didn't catch the last word.  But what a sweet moment.  The cute kids with their little bike helmets, and the little girl on her tiny, pink two-wheeler.  I'm sure she was feeling grown-up, though she couldn't have been long off the training wheels.  But still she was looking for the reassuring presence of her father.  Kind of like how we look to God, "Are you there?"  And in faith He answers, "Right behind you."  I found Him today on three bicycles riding through evening light.

No comments:

Post a Comment