Sunday, September 2, 2012

An Honest Effort

In Father Tom's sermon today he talked about a couple things that really hit home.  He mentioned having a fear of inadequacy and also not hearing what God is saying.  I'm taking it out of context because he was making a different point with his sermon, but those things apply to how I feel almost daily writing this blog.  I worry that people will think some of the things I write about are silly and not worthy of me saying "I found God here".  I worry that I'm not hearing what God really wants me to say.  I try hard to know what He wants me to write about, but am I just following my own agenda?  And who am I to say God was in any particular moment?  Am I worthy? Am I inadequate?  These are the questions I struggle with.
But something else Father Tom said makes it all seem okay.  He quoted Coach Al Buehler from Duke University who said, "Faith is less about being religious and more about making an honest effort."  I heard that and thought if nothing else, that's what I'm doing.  It may not be right, or worthy, or "religious", but I'm trying.  And that's all any of us can do.  So here's my effort for today.  This morning, God found me and quelled my doubts in the words of Father Tom's sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment