Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Little Athlete

I passed the ball field at the elementary school on my walk this afternoon, and there looked to be a game or a practice about to start.  There were several boys in the field tossing baseballs around, and as I glanced over I saw one boy going for a ball that was thrown to him rather high and wide.  He took a few steps back, reached out his glove, and caught it effortlessly.  I was amazed.  It's just that he was so small!  I suppose he could have been older, but from his size he looked to be no more than about seven years old.  I thought back to when my son was in Little League, and I guess the kids were doing the same things.  So I don't know if it was because I hadn't watched young kids playing sports in so long or what, but I was struck by just how capable God made us.  So far as I know, there hasn't been a computer/machine built that can chase a ball across a field and catch it.  There's so much going on between our brains and our bodies - all the coordination - and we do it almost without thought.  I don't know why that little boy caught my eye, but I found God today in his effortless athletic grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment