Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mystery Solved

Ever since we moved here, I've been hearing a birdcall that sounded like some jungle animal.  Well, today I finally found out what it was - a Pileated Woodpecker.  I was getting out of my car when I heard it, and it sounded so close.  I turned around to look, and the woodpecker was flying across our driveway from one tree to the next - making that jungle call just as loud as could be.  I was so excited!!  I couldn't believe I finally figured out what it was.  It may be well known to others, but for me, it was like I had made some brand new wildlife discovery - a new species or something!  Okay, that may be stretching it, but that's how excited I was.  I've seen the birds plenty of times, and I've heard the call plenty of times, but I was never able to put them together till today.  It gave me such joy to figure out the mystery, and that is where I found God today.  Click on the link if you want to hear what it sounds like.  (It's the yellow rectangular button under the Pileated Woodpecker heading.)

Call of the Pileated Woodpecker

2 comments:

  1. You led a sheltered life not seeing Woody Woodpecker cartoons and hearing that cackle of laughter he would make. Of course the sound of the pileated is purer than the Woody burlesque and it calls us to remember God not Walter Lantz and saturday morning cartoons with which I wasted much time. If you have never heard woody go to http://www.hark.com/clips/ffzdhgghqh-woody-laughing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Woody Woodpecker. I'm well acquainted with his comical cackle - we used to go around imitating him quite often. But until you mentioned it, I would have never put the two together!! Thanks for that - and thanks for the clip!

    ReplyDelete