Friday, August 10, 2012

Baking

There was only one thing I had to do today - bake!  It was great!  All my other chores and work stuff were done, and dinner was going to be leftovers.  Things have been so busy lately, that when I did bake I was squeezing it in among other stuff.  But today I was baking for coffee hour on Sunday, and as I setting out my ingredients I felt a calm come over me.  That's when it hit me - I could enjoy this for the first time in quite a while.  I love to bake.  I love the measuring and mixing; I love the incredible smells that fill the house.  There's a rhythm I get into especially when it's an often-made and well-loved recipe, and it's a comfort to fall into it.  And when I pull some tasty dessert out of the oven, it's all I can do to wait for it to cool enough to "test" it.  (Well, somebody has to make sure it's good!)  It's such an enjoyable task for me when I can take my time with it, and today I could.  I found God today in the joy of baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment