Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Talking to Strangers

I had to pick up a prescription at Walmart, and there was a really long line.  Jeff and I settled in to wait and were having a light conversation when the woman in front of us turned around and started talking with us.  We found out she had lived in both Alaska and Hawaii before she moved here, that her husband was in the military, that she was taking care of her mom for the summer, and that her sister had moved to Oregon for the summer.  She was very interesting and before we knew it, it was her turn at the register.  I'm always open to talking to strangers, but I never seem to start conversations with them myself.  I think I'm going to work on that because strangers stop being strangers once you share a few friendly words.  Talking with her turned the drudgery of waiting in line into an interesting break in the day, and that's where I found God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment