Monday, July 9, 2012

Amazing Painting

I read an article today about Henry Ossawa Tanner.  He was an African-American painter who lived from 1859 - 1937.  The author of the article was enamored of Tanner's religious paintings mainly because he painted angels as light.  Sometimes just light, sometimes with more shape but still ethereal and diaphanous.  He included a few paintings in the article, but the one that was the most powerful to me was "The Annunciation".  It shows Mary being approached by Gabriel as a being of light.  She looks humble, and in my mind, slightly confused as I'm sure she would be.  But it's the overall feel of the painting that I just can't shake.  She looks so real; her surroundings look so real.  It's the humble feeling of the setting that makes the angel and the whole painting so wondrous to me.  I googled Henry Tanner and saw many more beautiful and dramatic paintings by him, but this one is my favorite by far.  Great art can evoke such strong feelings, and today, I found God in this amazing painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment