Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blessed Surprise

A few days ago, I wrote about how getting back to a routine provides comfort and security, and it does.   But there's something to be said for shaking up routine, also.  Today, Father Tom decided to wing his sermon because he wasn't happy with what he had prepared.  He was talking about praying for people and asked if we were having healing services today.  It wasn't scheduled, but I couldn't quite remember that because we had missed last Sunday due to our vacation.  He looked around, I looked around; I didn't see any other member of the healing team there so I offered to do it.  There happened to be a priest visiting today so Father Tom asked him to do communion while he did healing prayers with me.  Ann L. was right on top of things and went and got the oil for annointing and brought it to me.  Our impromptu healing service was ready to go.  I always enjoy doing healing prayers for people.  It's sometimes emotional, sometimes difficult, sometimes thankful, but it always centers my focus on God and whoever we're praying with.  I'm usually prepared and pray ahead of time with whoever I'm teamed with that day, but since today was unexpected, it added an extra dimension of grace to my Sunday morning.  And it was special to be teamed with Father Tom today.  He has said he's not sure he has the gift of healing, but I think he does.  I felt it praying with him this morning - a focus, a spirituality, a centering.  You can feel those things when he's praying, and that heals.  I love my routine, but change is good, too.  So it was in the blessed surprise of doing healing prayers today that I found God.

No comments:

Post a Comment