Friday, January 4, 2013

Fresh, Hot Rolls

My birthday is tomorrow, but we wanted to go to the Barnes & Noble in Chesapeake, and a restaurant in Virginia Beach, so we decided to go today so it would be a little less crowded.  Jeff had researched and found a restaurant with a gluten-free menu as a surprise for me.  So after browsing the bookstore, we headed to the restaurant for lunch.  He had told me at this point where we were going, and I knew to expect a gluten-free menu, but there was one thing I still did not expect - rolls!  Oh my goodness!  The waitress brought regular rolls to the table for Jeff and Marlayna, and then said the gluten-free rolls were in the oven and would be out soon.  I almost fell on the floor.  I've gotten so used to watching everyone else at the table enjoy bread that I really don't think about it anymore.  A few minutes later she brought out piping hot rolls and they were really good!  I doubt they compared with the regular ones at the table, but I don't care.  Just being offered them made me feel special and normal at the same time.  She even brought olive oil for dipping since I can't have the butter.  We had an awesome day - fun at the bookstore, good conversation on the drive, lots of joking around, and good food at lunch.  But the highlight for me was my excitement over those fresh, hot rolls.  Today, I found God in the simple joy of eating bread in a restaurant just like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment