Sunday, February 5, 2012

Silence

I arrived at church early today.  Jeff was at a retreat so I was by myself.  The greeter and ushers hadn't arrived yet, and when I sat down in the sanctuary I heard someone leave.  I started to read my bible which is what I usually do before the service starts, but then it struck me that I was completely alone in the sanctuary.  I sat up straighter.  I looked around and took in all the details of my beloved church that I so often take for granted.  The cross which is tethered to the ceiling seemed to hover.  In that moment, it appeared weightless.  I felt God all around me in that total silence.  It feels different to commune with God in a space where you usually share that communion with your fellow worshippers.  It probably only lasted about a minute or two; then other people started to arrive.  The spell wasn't broken; it was just begun.  I carried that feeling through the service with me.  That physical silence helped me find the stillness where God always waits for us.  I found Him there today.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your description of the church before it fills up in the morning. I feel so in touch with the serenity of the place, like it's actually something in the air. When people start to come in they don't take it away, they just share in it like some sort of communal bath (without germs!)

    ReplyDelete