Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Dream

Ask anyone close to me and they'll tell you that I don't like to talk about dreams, but I have to talk about this one. First, I have to tell you that my mom has dementia. Sometimes she knows me; sometimes she doesn't. It's been years since there have been any gifts, surprises, phone calls, or any of the little things that moms do to make you feel loved and special. She's physically here, but mostly I think of her - my true mom - as being gone. And then I had this dream this morning right before I woke up. I've heard that this is when we're most in tune to God; most likely to hear him speak to us. I was cooking for some event - I don't know what it was - when everything on the stove started to boil over all at once. I was frantically turning off burners and moving pots around when I uncovered a dish, and I just collapsed into tears. It was a dish of banana pudding that my mom had made for me and hidden as a surprise. This is the kind of thing she used to do, and her banana pudding was my favorite. In my dream I thought, "My mom remembers me; she still loves me," and I just broke down sobbing. I awoke in the middle of those sobs still trying to catch my breath. I know God sent me that dream to tell me something I really needed to hear, and that is where I found Him today.

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful story and an uplifting way of seeing it. God was telling you that your mom's love for you will never be gone even though she is no longer capable of expressing it. Love is like the Matter that makes up the universe. It never gets destroyed...just transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeff you said what I wanted to say

    ReplyDelete