Sunday, April 15, 2012

"Holy Spirit Breath"

In Father Tom's sermon today, he referred to John 20:22, "And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them 'Receive the Holy Spirit'".  It was an excellent sermon, but what affected me the most was Father Tom himself.  He talked about breathing in the Risen Christ's expelled breath and feeling it flow through him, and then breathing out any sins from within.  He called it a "deep cleansing Holy Spirit breath".  His words were powerful, but it was his conviction and feeling that really came through.  I could feel myself breathing in and out with him, experiencing just what he was expressing.  It affected me deeply - breathing in the Spirit along with Father Tom and my fellow parishioners.  And it was in that breath that I found God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment