Friday, April 27, 2012

Football aka Soccer

Sports are not something I get excited about.  At all.  Ever.  But Morgan has been writing articles and doing podcasts for EPL Talk (a website for English Premier League soccer - oops! football), and since I'm his mom I feel obligated to read and listen to them.  I read an article by Joel Osteen recently that said that one of the most important things you can do for your family is show up.  That means watch their games, attend their concerts, read their papers, and listen to their podcasts.  I believe he's right.  I've tried to do that for my kids, but it's so much easier when I'm actually interested in the topic!  I mean soccer? Ugh.  But Morgan loves it so I listened to almost two hours of podcasts today to support him.  I've got to say, it was pretty mind-numbing.  But you know what?  When I talked to him this afternoon, he was so animated in discussing it with me.  We debated some of the points and the other podcasters, and it felt great to talk to him about something he loves and actually know a little of what I was talking about!  I found God in that today.  In helping me find the motivation to listen in the first place, in giving me the endurance to get through it (!), and in that conversation with Morgan when we connected over a most unlikely subject - soccer (I mean football!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that conversation yesterday meant as much to Morgan as it did to you. I found God today in our little road trip to Manteo and then lunch in Wanchese. My very favorite part looking back was your enjoyment of one of our rare meals out. There is so much you can't eat anymore and I know you miss both the food and the experience, as do I. That made today that much more special. Trying a new restaurant with you, sitting and talking, enjoying the beautiful scenery from our table...it was like a blast from the past. Thanks for sharing the day with me Tia, and thanks for leading us to that restaurant God!

    ReplyDelete