Sunday, May 27, 2012

Listening for God

During Father Tom's sermon today, he spoke of events leading up to his becoming a parish priest.  He talked of slowing down enough to hear the voice of God.  And he ended his sermon with, "Are you listening to the wind? Are you slowing down enough to feel the breath of God kiss you?  What is the Spirit saying?"  Then he sat and left us in silence for a few minutes.  At first, there was a little rustling about.  Then it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.  I bowed my head and prayed... and listened.  It was as if I could feel the power of our collective hearts going out to God.  I was grateful for those moments of silence.  I was grateful for Father Tom's wisdom in giving us those moments rather than moving right along with the service.  I take time outside of church to listen for God, but Father Tom was right - I don't take enough time inside of church to listen.  And that just doesn't make sense.  That is the purpose of church - God with us.  God was with me today.  I found Him in the resounding silence inside of our church.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. The same thing happened at the 10:30am service. When Father Tom sat down at the end of the sermon, there was some rustling about and then extreme quiet!! Everyone was in the same zone, listening!! God was definately among u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's amazing! It was definitely an awesome experience - hard to find the words to define it. Thanks so much for sharing, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete