Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Mom

Wednesday, November 2, 2022.  A light in the world went out last night.  Jeff’s mom died, and I’m heartbroken.  We all are.  She asked me to call her Mom when we got married twenty-two years ago, and she’s truly been a mom to me in every sense of the word.  Her death was unexpected.  She had a severe ulcerative colitis attack which then turned into sepsis.  She went into the hospital in the early hours of Friday morning and quickly deteriorated.  She had just called me the day before just to chat.  She hadn’t been feeling well but was doing better that day.  I had no idea it would be my last conversation with her, but I’m so glad I got to tell her I loved her.  She was the heart of the family.  People were everything to her.  When I met Jeff and brought my two kids into the family, she welcomed them as her own grandchildren.  She never made them feel like there was a “step” between them.  She was a gifted pianist and studied at Juilliard.  It was because of her that I found my love of classical music.  We also shared a love of books, jigsaw puzzles, and crafting.  She was always making things to give us.  She excelled at knitting, sewing, cross-stitching… We all have evidence of her love sprinkled throughout our homes.  She was a great cook and baker.  Her pies were legendary; the highlight of Thanksgiving dinner.  And she was always, always there for you offering her support and her friendship.  We’d talk for hours on end when she visited and drink endless cups of tea.  She made the effort to connect so you always knew how much she cared.  I just can’t imagine the world without her in it.  She will be sorely missed.  I love you, Mom.  Rest in peace.  


No comments:

Post a Comment