Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Calling

This is from Steven Charleston:

I walk on, no matter how easy or difficult the path before me. I walk on in good weather and bad, under a beautiful sky, beneath a dark moon, I walk on when the road seems to pull me forward to discover what is around the next corner, or even when I need to stop for rest before I can take another step. I walk on without knowing when my journey will end, embracing the journey itself as gift, it is my life and calling. I walk on in peace, in wonder, in endless thanks that you walk with me, 
and that together we walk in faith, the road that leads us home.

 Up until I started my blog last year, I repeatedly asked God what I should be doing with my life and the gifts He had given me.  What was my calling?  I was happy with my life but had the nagging feeling I should be doing more.  Then I started my blog.  I wasn't sure that it was my calling, but I was too busy with it to worry about it.  When I finished my year of daily posting in January, it was somewhat of a relief.  I still looked for God in my day but didn't feel the pressure of verbalizing it in any coherent way.  It was back to just me and Him.  I also had lost the nagging feeling of needing to do more and that was such a blessing.  The daily writing had somehow shown me that what I had - and what I did - in my life was enough.  Then at the concert to dedicate our new church piano this past Sunday, Father Tom spoke of using our gifts.  And again, I asked the question of God - is there something else I should be doing?  I think He answered me in Steven Charleston's post on Facebook today.  I read his posts every day.  He's poetic and insightful, and I always enjoy his writing.  But this one felt like it was written just for me.  You know how that happens sometimes?  When it seems a writer has seen into your mind - your soul?  I think God used him to deliver this message to me so I can put my mind at ease.  I am truly happy with my life.  Happy to do all I can for my family and to volunteer when I can for my church.  And I finally realize that that's enough.  That "the journey itself" is a gift.  It's "my life and calling".  I use the gifts God gave me every day just by living my life the best way I know how.  That's my calling.  Yes.  God found me and blessed me today through the words of Steven Charleston.    


No comments:

Post a Comment